Emma Cano's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation with experience litigating matters in both federal and state courts. Her cases cover a range of commercial issues, including fraud, partnership disputes, franchise-related controversies, contract and construction disputes, bond claims, insurance coverage disputes and other litigation matters. Emma has developed a successful practice defending catastrophic injury and fatality claims in a variety of industries and has represented businesses in numerous tort matters.
Emma has extensive experience in all aspects of litigation: early case assessment, alternative dispute resolution procedures, all facets of discovery (including e-discovery), motion practice, pre-trial preparation, trial and settlement. She has tried more than 15 cases to jury verdict and various others before the bench, and has successfully defeated claims on summary judgment on behalf of her clients. Although Emma litigates cases throughout the state, her fluency in Spanish and Hispanic roots uniquely positions her to litigate cases throughout South Texas and to represent Latin American clients in disputes pending in the United States.
In recent years, Emma has handled more than 40 OSHA investigations, many of which resulted from industrial accidents and employee fatalities, for clients such as drilling contractors, construction companies, manufacturers, electrical contractors, and oil and gas-related companies. Emma's unique experience in this area allows her to effectively counsel clients on dealing with and responding to OSHA's involvement in their business operations.
Emma is also committed to serving her community and has developed a passion for programs that help society's youth become productive and integral members of our community. She devotes many hours every year serving on boards for various non-profit organizations and is actively involved with different youth ministries at her church.
Selected Client Representations
- Two successful summary judgments and representation of individual and corporate entities in complex partnership dispute involving allegations of breach of fiduciary duties, breach of contract, and misappropriation, where adverse party claimed loss of partnership interest worth $70 million.
- Frequent representation of employers in defending against gross negligence litigation arising from industrial fatalities in a wide variety of industries.
- Repeatedly obtained dismissal of citations against clients involved in OSHA proceedings.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a client defending against allegations of gross negligence arising from employee fatality.
- Representation of franchisors in franchise-related litigation.
- Continuous representation of national construction aggregate supplier in payment bond litigation, contract disputes and claims for payment.
- Continuous representation of large retail grocery company in customer initiated litigation throughout South Texas.
- Continuous representation of large restaurant company in customer initiated litigation throughout the State of Texas.
- Represented franchisor company in successfully enforcing forum selection clause of franchise agreement.
- Recognized in S.A. Scene, S.A. Lawyers: Best of 2012 (Civil Litigation Defense)
- Recognized in S.A. Scene, S.A. Lawyers: Best of 2011 (General Litigation)
- Named by the San Antonio Business Journal as one of its "40 Under 40" rising stars for 2010
- Selected as the Outstanding Young Lawyer by the San Antonio Young Lawyers Association (2008)
- Selected as the Belva Lockwood Outstanding Young Lawyer by the Bexar County Women's Bar Foundation (2008)
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer "Rising Star" in Business Litigation by Texas Monthly (2007, 2008)
Selected Professional, Business and Community Activities
- Bexar County Women's Bar Association Foundation - President (2012); President-Elect (2011); Vice-President (2010); Treasurer (2008-2009); Board of Directors (2007-2009); Bench Brunch Auction Co-Chair (2006); Bench Brunch Goes Primetime Co-Chair (2008)
- YWCA of San Antonio - President (2011-2012); President-Elect (2010); Vice President (2008-2009); Board of Directors (2005-2012)
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellow (2013)
- Southwest Preparatory School Education Foundation - Board of Directors and Marketing Committee (2011-2012)
- UT School of Law Center for Women In Law, Faculty Member on Effective Communications Workshop at Leadership Boot Camp (2011)
- Texas Bar CLE, Course Director, 2008 - Essential Practice Skills for New Attorneys
- San Antonio Women's Chamber of Commerce - Board of Directors (2007-2008); Director of Networking Nights Out (2007); Director of Luncheons (2008)
- North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce Leadership Lab Graduate, Class of 2005
- City of Houston Municipal Courts Prosecutor, Volunteer Prosecutor (2006-2007)
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Fellow, San Antonio Bar Foundation
- Community Justice Program, Volunteer (2002-2012)
- St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina Catholic Church, Parishioner and Youth Volunteer - Youth Confirmation Teacher (2010-Present); Teen ACTS Co-Director (2012); ACTS Team Member (2010, 2011)
Selected Representative Experience
Drilling Rig Collapse
Represented drilling company in OSHA proceedings resulting from an accident involving an employee killed during a drilling rig collapse. Also represented the company in the gross negligence lawsuit filed in Webb County, Texas, as a result of the accident through its resolution.
Represented natural gas pipeline company in OSHA proceedings resulting from an oilfield explosion/flash fire that left one worker dead, and five injured. Also represented the company in the gross negligence, multi-party lawsuit filed in Zavala County, Texas, resulting from the accident.
Drilling Rig Incident
Represented drilling company in OSHA proceedings resulting from an accident involving an employee killed while working on a drilling rig. Also represented the company in the gross negligence lawsuit filed in Webb County, Texas, resulting from the accident through its resolution.
Liberty Tax Prevails in Enforcing Forum Selection Clause
Prevailed in enforcement of forum selection clause and obtained transfer of civil action. Youngblood v. JTH Tax Servs., Inc.,
No. SA: 06-CA-380-XR; 2006 WL 1984656 (W.D. Tex. July 17, 2006).
Drilling Rig Incident
Represented drilling company in OSHA proceedings resulting from an accident involving an employee killed during rigging up operations. No lawsuit was filed against the company.
Drilling Rig Incident
Represented drilling company in OSHA proceedings resulting from an accident involving an employee killed while working on a drilling rig. No lawsuit was filed against the company.